23th July to 25th August 2014

Friends of the Bregenz Festival

History and development

Gebhard Sagmeister

General meeting 2013

Since being founded in 1946 the Bregenz Festival has evolved into a festival of international renown. The festival's early years were characterised by a high degree of private initiative, as demonstrated by the in the establishment of the Festival Community of Bregenz in 1949.

Since the Bregenz Festival adopted the legal form of a limited liability company (GmbH) in 1989, the Friends of the Bregenz Festival have carried on the tradition of private involvement and, by means of donations and patrons' contributions, have done a great deal to ensure that even in times of limited public subsidy the festival programme remains artistically varied.

With the establishment of the Bregenz Festival Foundation, the Friends of the Bregenz Festival were able to transfer their rights of ownership vis-à-vis the Bregenz Festival GmbH to the Foundation. As a result the Friends have been able to concentrate fully on the task of promoting the Bregenz Festival.

The association of Friends of the Bregenz Festival today has some 1,300 members from Austria and abroad. The members - as Friends, Patrons and members of the Circle – are dedicated to supporting the Bregenz Festival in a variety of special ways and to promoting the festival idea far beyond the borders of the region.


Contact us

Friends of the Bregenz Festival
Platz der Wiener Symphoniker 1

Mag. Christine Mödritscher

A-6900 Bregenz

Tel. +43 (5574) 407 80226

Fax +43 (5574) 88154

Chairman

Gebhard Sagmeister
Vice-chairmen
Thomas Hackspiel

Joe Rupp
Executive board

Mag. Verena Brunner-Loss
Markus Lechner
Friedrich Faigle
Monika Wagner

Further information

Mag. Christine Mödritscher
Tel. +43 (5574) 407 226

freunde@bregenzerfestspiele.com